Monday 30 April 2012

Film Review: Marvel's Avengers Assemble (2012)



Back when life was one big adventure...

One thing that many of you may not know about me is that growing up I was a ridonculous fan of all things Marvel. Comic books, action figures, cartoons... the whole shabang; I had it. So when word broke of the official UK release date for 'Marvel's Avengers Assemble' being this month I must say all of the childhood nostalgia came flushing back. 


Let's start with the basics...


UK Release Date: April 26th 2012


Genre: Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi


Age Certificate: 12 A


Run time: 2 h 22 min


Directed By: Joss Whedon


Written By: Joss Whedon, Zak Penn, Stan Lee, Jack Kirby


Starring: Samuel L. Jackson, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, Chris Evans, Jeremy Renner, Mark Ruffalo, Tom Hiddleston, Jenny Agutter, Gwyneth Paltrow, Paul Bettany & Robert Downey Jr.


Produced By: Kevin Feige

My Rating8.9/10


Still from movie: The Avengers mid-battle


Synopsis:

The story revolves around the traditional superhero theme: the Earth is in trouble and set to face certain doom without the help of a brave superhero or in this case superheroes. 

Headed by Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson), S.H.I.E.L.D is a secret organisation that even the FBI & CIA couldn't dictate orders to. A special agency with the sole task of protecting the World's security at all costs. So when even they proved out of their bounds with a sudden extraterrestrial attack, it was time to call on an elite team of superheroes.

Cue the Avengers; a collection of four of the most revered superheroes ever to grace the memories of children and adults alike across the globe: Captain America (Chris Evans); Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.); Thor (Chris Hemsworth) & The Incredible Hulk (Mark Ruffalo). For good measure two of the worlds most deadliest assassins are also scrambled in to aid the fight for humanity played by Scarlett Johansson & Jeremy Renner. 

I have to say, with all of the hype surrounding this release I was very eager to see whether or not the real film would live up to the hysteria and I was pleasantly surprised to say it ruddy well did!

The first giveaway that the film was going to be good was that it was in 3D, the only thing better than seeing your favourite superheros kick the crap out of some alien pricks is seeing slimy alien blood splash onto the screen as they do it! :-D

Secondly, Scarlett Johansson. Need I even say more? She is easily one of the sexiest women in Hollywood so to see her playing a Russian spy turned American assassin instantly captivated my attention. Not only was she the main eye-candy but more importantly she played her character beautifully.  I must say although I know her suit was padded at the back, boy oh boy did she look great in it! 


Oh yeah!... I would!... THRICE!!!

Scarlett Johansson as 'Black Widow' #Phwoaar!


Anyways.... back to the film, (I often get distracted when I'm perving).


Comical Aspects:

The main thing that I like about the movie is that it actually isn't that cheesy in my opinion, the re-occurring theme is the battle of egos between the avengers (minus The Hulk) which only gets funnier as the movie goes on. In fact, comedy was an integral part of the reason why this film got such a high review, there are some real gems that pop up throughout the film that had me and the audience in stitches.

Engages & builds suspense:

Just when you think the film is about to draw to a satisfactory close and an definite sequel the film shifts it up a gear.

Haven't seen any or all of the respective films?

Don't worry- neither have I. With only previously watching Iron Man 1 & The Incredible Hulk (I didn't enjoy the latter btw), I wasn't sure if I would understand the characters of Captain America & Thor. Again, I'm glad that this misconception was blown squarely out of the water. The movie is great for first time viewers as each of the characters backgrounds and motivations are succinctly explained throughout- something I found very impressive & neatly done.

Those who had watched each of the characters' stand alone films may have been aware that Samuel L. Jackson's character appeared at the end of each of the films (after the credits) which provided the basis for this movie.

Favourite bit? Without spoiling!

Look out for the Hulk, he's the most humble of the superheroes when it comes time to unleash their super powers and with flipping good reason! You don't have to be a comic book geek to appreciate that when a green, giant & wham mamajama gets angry it can't be exactly a good thing. He has one moment in particular where he shows the evil villain Loki, (Tom Hiddleston) the utmost disrespect. With this being said, any additional info on this would be unfair to those yet to see the movie.

Worst bits of the film?

Well, I cannot say I noticed any continuation errors which would have certainly lost ratings. However, there was a moment where someone should have died much faster than they did which I found unrealistic but easily forgiven when you remember the type of film it is. Other than that the film was great.


So why not a 10/10 rating?


The single reason I cannot award this film 10/10 is Spider-Man. Out of all the superheroes, he was my favourite growing up (if you couldn't tell by the first photo) and seeing how Spider-Man was also created by Marvel in conjunction with being like one of, if not the most commercially successful cinematic releases of the Marvel franchise.


So why the heck was he not in the film? 

I mean the action is set in NYC, Spidey's hometown if I'm not mistaken and he's never even mentioned. In the original Avengers comics, he and Wolverine were included in the team along with some noticeable other characters. Now that I have done my research, I've found out that like many problems in this world, money is to blame...

The rights to the Spider-Man (film) isn't owned by Marvel but rather Sony so as this is a Marvel Studios release, it would have been impossible to get Spider-Man in the film . Besides, Peter Parker has so much other ish on his plate, I would't blame him for being too busy for an Avengers link up. Sadly for me and the other fans alike, I don't think Spidey will make an appearance but then again never say never...

I hope you've enjoyed this review and that I didn't give too much away. Even then it would more reason to watch it for yourself but don't make the rookie mistake of watching it in 2D, films like this need to be appreciated in their full cinematic glory.

Anyways, why are you still reading this? Go and buy your tickets to watch it! After all, Orange wednesdays are always a good shout  ;-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Progression is a Must: the blog. Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger