Monday 13 June 2011

Turning Negativity into Positivity

I got a placement!

So today was my first day at work on placement. WOW! I was nowhere near ready to be thrown into the fire straight out of the sizzling frying pan that was my 2 years away at university. Apart from me being disgustingly ill last week and the passing of my grandfather... I was actually quite ready for whatever my first day could throw at me.

I had on one of my fine Hawes & Curtis shirts, new cufflinks, shiny leather shoes, new suit complimented only by my freshly trimmed hair and sharp shape up... to be frank...I was looking the part (I must sound so arrogant- oh well ;-)

I had given myself just the right amount of time to get to work but as it was my first day I was quite eager and anxious to be on my way. When I finally got on the bus that would take me directly to work, I found myself welcomed by a surprisingly cool breeze. This was perfect! I mean who really wants to start work with sweat patches anyway?

Then it hit me.......

“Since when did buses get air conditioning under the seats?” The pleasant cascade of air soon turned to a disturbing nightmare...


I had somehow managed to rip my brand new pair of Burton trousers *BBM crying emoticon* Just my flipping luck! I mean what are the odds of me realising that my brand new trousers were ripped on route to my first day in the office?

I was not at all impressed and thought about doing something real predictable and kissing my teeth and complaining about it for the whole day with the acceptance that I was doomed to have a terrible first day at work.

Then another thought hit me......

If I look at the glass of milk as spilt let alone half empty then it will be just that. But if I looked at that damn glass as being half full or better yet spilt all over the place and appreciated that at the end of the day it was just milk. Then I would be right also.


Optimism.

What I’m trying to stress is that whatever you feel... you’ll be right. You can look at the day ahead as being against you and ultimately just another one of life’s blows or you can just laugh it off and say that the day can only get brighter.


Funnily enough, when I arrived at the office, I waited in the reception with a rip in the groin of my trousers just smiling to myself. Then about half an hour later and with nobody appearing to have remembered it was my big day, the phone rang... it was my new employers.


My lucky break!

They rang and said that an emergency meeting had come up and that I was free to come back in an hour. Remembering I had noticed a dry cleaners on my way, I decided to head back in order to get my trousers repaired and avoid receiving embarrassing names from my new colleagues such as ‘Rippy McDonald’ or something to that effect- (don’t ask me where I thought of that name).

When I got to the dry cleaners, I realised that I had no spare trousers that I could wear whilst the tailor mended my emergency wardrobe malfunction. LOL- I was in a tower bridge dry cleaners chilling in my boxers with a shirt and tie on.................................................................. #casj!

It was actually funny and very humbling to sit there whilst the tailor sewed away at my trousers, funnily enough I had not heard one of the employees mention to me that I could change in the fitting room behind the till- #double LOL.

So I went into the fitting room and the tailor handed me my trousers... at that point he was like a miracle worker who had just healed a sick man in front of my eyes. Ironically, the amount I paid to fix my trousers was exactly the amount I saved when I purchased the suit with my student discount and even more ironic, an emergency meeting had permitted me the chance to be able to even contemplate repairing my trousers as I started an hour later than I first expected.

From that point on, I knew my day would be good and good it was. I had a nice time just immersing myself within the work culture but soon became tired as it had been a long while since I had worked.

The moral of the story is to remember one thing. No matter how you look at something, you’re going to be right- it’s the old story of a self-fulfilling prophecy. So next time you think you’re having a bad day, just remember thinking positive takes less energy and you can end up having a great day you wont forget.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Progression is a Must: the blog. Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger